Philosophy, Theology, Food, Life.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Loneliness

I am in my third week of living in South Carolina. I love it here but it has been hard. The internship is full of blessing but the same things that bless drain. I love the internship but I come home to a place that isn’t my home and I am wiped out. I will be the first to say that I take life at Ozark Christian College for granted. It has been hard because there is an element of loneliness. I miss the recharge that comes with community. So the first thing I have to say is that I miss community. 

The second thing I have to say is that I am not lonely but am learning about loneliness.  I have two favorite quotes about loneliness. 

The first is by Paul Tillich who was a German born American philosopher and theologian. 

“Language... has created the word "loneliness" to express the pain of being alone. And it has created the word "solitude" to express the glory of being alone.” 

 We hate being lonely and yet solitude is a spiritual gift. How the heck does that work? Loneliness brings about melancholy attitudes, depression, pessimism, pain. Solitude brings about a deeper connection with God, a time to learn about self and spirit, a chance to prepare for a greater purpose. So when we are alone are we lonely or taking a time of solitude? 

This brings me to my 2nd favorite quote for loneliness which is by Dag Hammerskjold. He was a nobel peace prize winning Secretary of State for the UN. 

“Pray that your loneliness may spur you into finding something to live for, great enough to die for.” 

I love this quote because it reminds me of Christ. Matthew 4 and Luke 4 tell the story of Jesus going into the wilderness. This was a hard time in the life of Christ. A time of temptation, loneliness, preparation; a time that marks the beginning of ministry. 

Loneliness vs Solitude is a difference of attitude. 

Christ did not become a pessimistic, depressed, prematurely gray man; He became our savior.
The women at the shelter have shown me much about this. They come in alone, hurt, broken, and scared. They have nothing and no one, choosing to be cut off from the life they knew to seek safety. In their loneliness they find community. They find a new life, power, healing, and freedom. 

Jesus found His ministry, the ladies find the rest of their lives. I am finding the chance to learn and prepare for whatever God may bring next; even if the present is hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment