Philosophy, Theology, Food, Life.

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Break

It is Christmas break and I am so thankful for this time of rest, but I am already missing parts of school. I miss the hum of dorm life, the constant stir of laughter and stress and studying. I miss being surrounded by friends and conversation. I miss the conversations that at one moment might be a light hearted chat that turns into deep theological thoughts. I miss being challenged in every way by what I am learning, the situations I am placed in, and the people I am in relationship with. If my semester and all the things I miss could be summed up in one word it would be immersion I think.

Going through a semester of being RA, taking 17 hours, working part time, while trying to have a life has caused me to be immersed in a set of challenges that I never thought I would face. I have had conversations I never thought I would have, have learned more and turned in more work than what I thought was possible for me, and have gotten the best sleep from going to bed exhausted every night. I am so thankful for this immersed semester, it has made me learn so much. Yet "made" is somewhat the keyword there.

Now I find myself in the midst of a break. What in the world am I supposed to do with that? I don't have to work on relationships. I don't have to study God or learn anything. I don't have to stay busy. I am suddenly immersed in an option: to have a time of laziness or to have a time of living and learning intentionally.

I have decided to live, love, and learn intentionally over break. Break is going to be a break from having knowledge, wisdom, and learning experiences handed over to me. Break is going to be a time to dig. I thank my relationships with my friends, girls in my dorm, and my professors. If I was not immersed in loving, living, and learning, and seen the beauty of its challenges in y'all, then I would not miss it and would not be choosing to live it intentionally. My love and compassion and counseling skills was so challenged this semester by you girls and I am so thankful for that. My endurance has been challenged and I thank my professors and the Ramseys for testing that. My love for knowledge and hunger to learn about God has incredibly grown this semester. Taking Greek with Kenny Boles has made me thirst for the true meaning behind the inspired words of God. I feel as if I am being handed over a note that uncovers just one more attribute of God. I am getting to know one more thing about my God, his use of language. Taking apologetics with Doug Aldridge has caused me to question every motive I have for living out my Christian worldview and is challenging me to live a completely genuine life that is ready to prove God. I thank these two men so much for challenging me this semester.

So while this might be a break, it is going to be a break from immersion. It is going to be an opportunity to love, work, and learn intentionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment